Blog

Poison Awareness

March 7, 2018

March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month!

Do you know what common items are poisonous to your furry friends? If not, we have provided a list of some and what to look out for if your pet has come into contact with them. If your pet comes into contact with something that you suspect/know can be toxic to them, please call our office at (301) 519-7944 and/or call ASPCA’s 24 Hour Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.

Plants

Lilies: Severely poisonous to cats. Even the pollen or the water in the vase can be toxic. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Anorexia
  • Lethargy
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Seizures
  • Kidney Failure
  • Death

Daffodils and Tulips: Poisonous to cats and dogs. The bulb of both flowers is the most toxic part. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Drooling
  • Seizures or tremors
  • Death

Azaleas: These are very commonly planted around neighborhoods. They are poisonous to cats and dogs. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Heart failure
  • Death

Foods

Xylitol: This is a natural sugar-free sweetener. It is usually found in chewing gum, mints, candy, and toothpaste. It is severely poisonous to both cats and dogs. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Seizures
  • Jaundice
  • Coma

Chocolate: The most commonly known poisonous food to cats and dogs. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Restlessness
  • Elevated Heart Rate or Fever
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Tremors
  • Collapsing
  • Death

Grapes/Raisins: Poisonous to cats and dogs. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Dehydration or abnormal drinking/urinating
  • Lethargy
  • Anorexia
  • Death

Onions/Garlic: Poisonous to cats and dogs. Common signs to watch for are:

  • Drooling
  • Nausea/Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Weakness/Lethargy
  • Abdominal Pain
  • Pale Gums
  • Collapsing
  • Death

Medications

Many of your own medications (even over the counter) can be toxic to your furry friends. It is highly important that you make sure any and all types of medications, even those prescribed to your pet, are put in an area that they cannot get to.

We also do not recommend giving your pet over-the-counter medication, like NSAIDs (Advil and Motrin), or acetaminophen (Tylenol). If you feel like your pet is in pain or needs medication for any reason, we recommend giving us a call to speak with one of our doctors or making an appointment. Giving any medication without a prescribed dose can be fatal.

We are open, please call our office: (301) 519-7944 for important Covid-19 updates.

Top